Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 220v U.S. Power with computer????

Status
Not open for further replies.

daves22

Electrical
Jul 13, 2003
US
Greetings to all,
I am interested in powering my desktop computer using a 220v 60Hz U.S. AC power source. I know that the power supply does have a switch with 110-120 and 220-240 choices on the back.
I assume this is for computers used in other countries where 220 main is the common wiring.
Here is my question:
Will the power supply be able to handle 220v U.S. main as I know that it is at 60 Hz and the 220v of european countries is at 50Hz?
Has anyone tried this?
Any response will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should work fine. I believe the rectifier and regulator in the power supply can handle this.

Suggestion: Contact the manufacturer tech support. 220V-240V is meant for 50Hz and 110V-120V is meant for 60Hz.

The back of your power pack should state if it can take 60Hz. My UK dell laptop has 50-60Hz rating stated on the power pack and I've used it in the US a couple of times with no problems.

Comment: It appears that the original posting is questioning the 50Hz versus 60Hz capability at 220V. Apparently, it is not marked there or it has been overlooked.

Hello daves22,

Since most modern laptop PC's use a small SMPS instead of a transformer and linear power supply, I suspect the SMPS won't give a damn about 50 or 60Hz.

If the power supply is bulky and heavy, and therefore probably a linear type, a 50HZ type will probably be ok on 60Hz although it might run a bit warmer due to increased eddy losses. A 60Hz type will probably also be ok at 220V 50Hz but will be overfluxed at 240V 50Hz and will therefore get very hot and fail.

Thanks to all for your input,
I was thinking the same thing Scotty but I have sent an e-mail to the manufacturer to make sure this is the case.
The deal is that this is a desktop P.S. and in the U.S., most computers run at 110v AC at 60 Hz, so the pc's have a 110 setting for 60 Hz. This is no big deal, but at the 220v level, I believe this was set for European settings of 220v at 50Hz. So what I am looking at is trying to run at 220v @ 60Hz.....The fact of running at a higher voltage would lead to less incoming current which would most likely run cooler than at 110v since the current is going to be cut by half. The only question is the Hz being 10Hz higher frequency than in Europe. I am thinking that it should handle that freq. if it holds the same freq. at 100v.
The only thoughts are those mentioned by Scotty.....So we will see what the manufacturer says about it.
The benefits are numerous as the 220v line is much cleaner and more stable than the 110v line, and the less amps mean cheaper operation. Well anyway, I will let you know if it works out....
Sincerely,
Dave S.

Hello daves22,

The only advantage to running at a higher voltage and lower current is to the designer of the circuit. He can use a smaller-cheaper wire size.

Because Europe uses a higher voltage, they are more concerned with having finger-safe terminals and must pay closer attention to insulation resistance. They have done this for so long that we in the USA are getting the benefits of this design.

As for using less power; this depends on the efficiency and design of the power supply. Since real power equals IVcosTheta, lowering the current is countered by raising the voltage and thus the power consumed remains constant.

Pragmatist has given you a (predictably) pragmatic answer.

"the less amps mean cheaper operation" --> false.

"the 220v line is much cleaner and more stable than the 110v line" --> false, or at least highly unlikely. Most probably, your 110v line is the exact same line as your 220v line (more accurately, is 1/2 of your 220v line).

"The benefits are numerous" --> I can't think of a single one. And there's the downside that you'll need to buy an adapter plug. So you've spent a couple bucks on an adapter that could fail, and you've gained nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back