Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a direct elastic collision with a passing asteroid for propelling a spacecraft? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

So every time I see a news story about an asteroid that will pass close to the earth, I wonder if it would be possible to use an elastic collision with the passing asteroid to propel a spacecraft to deep space. I imagine either a long, multi-stage cylinder to compress a gas (I don't think this would work) or perhaps a pair of micro-satellites connected by a cable that would be in the path. (I think this has a chance of working.)

What would be the max G-loading a satellite could be designed to withstand while having useful systems for positioning, communication and of course science, survive?

If the elastic collision was efficient it could propel a spacecraft twice as fast as the asteroid was going.

Is this a reasonable idea? Or am I nuts? (for this specific idea since I know generally, yeah I'm a bit nuts.)

Thanks,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hate when I have a brilliant idea that someone else thought of 50 years ago. Btrueblood, I looked up Skyhook on wikipedia and this is exactly what I was thinking of. The HASTOL even includes the first stage part I was thinking of. I probably came across this in the distant past and forgot about it only to "invent" the idea again.

Kirby Wilkerson

wot ? you don't think other people can be equally "brilliant" ? (smile)

btw, if it was such a brilliant idea, how come nothing came of it ? won't that make it an "average" idea ? (great/good concept, lousy implementation)
Sure some things are slowly being developed, but the things SX has accomplished (in the face of traditional "rubbishing") are truly amazing.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Maybe the state of technology just hasn't advanced yet to make the idea workable, or is just on the cusp of becoming workable. See also: Flying cars.

Kirby Wilkerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back