Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using ADIS16130 High presicion angular rate sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShamilaWije

Electrical
Jun 15, 2008
LK
Hi

I've been testing the Analog devices high precision rate sensor ADIS16130AMLZ and got some doubtful results.....
I tested 4 sensors from 2 batches,

1) The self test value -- I got 54 deg/sec on all 4 sensors but the datasheet says it should be between 65-85.

2) Cant seem to get a valid temperature readout it always gives 25 deg although the casing temperature has gone up to about 38 deg.

Has anybody else used this device, if so what are the results you got?

Please help!!!!

PS: Product Page

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it's just as unlikely that 4 separate sensors would have the SAME errors, have you double checked your setup and measurement procedure?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Were it me, I would assume that part to be working fine and would instead be seriously doubting my SPI code...

Make sure your SPI clock speed is correct. The polarity is correct, and that the sample position is correct. Then focus on the message content, are you positive it's right?

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for the replies.

Well the thing is I can read the rate data from the sensor without any problem. Some other points are,

1) Tested with several clock speeds ranging from 250kHz to 1.5Mhz with the same results.

2) You have to write values to the configuration registers to configure the sensor. I read the values i just wrote to the sensor and compared with what i sent and they always checks out.

3) Device behaves as it should when the configuration is changed from the SPI. For example turning on and off channels, resolution changes, SYNC function behavior all work perfectly. So I doubt the problem is something to do with SPI.

4) At first I read the data out of the results buffers with my own timer without considering the actual conversion cycles. Then later I decided to monitors the data ready line and read the data after the conversion has completed. But the results were same.

Anyway I'll double check the SPI again just to make sure. :)

Hmmm well it sounds like you've done your due diligence there. I would agree it sounds like you've wrung out the SPI.

You've tried different units too.. Dang.

Time to look for several things:

1) Look for errata about the temp sensor. I have had microcontrollers with headline features that were completely non-functional and they had a "sorry about that" in the processor's errata.[banghead]

2) Find someone who's actually used the part - google.

3) Find a microcontroller forum where someone has used the part.

4) Talk to the factory application assistance people.

Keith Cress
kcress -

You should talk to someone at AD. There appear to be discrepancies in the datasheet

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back