Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Analog Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb1

Electrical
Jan 14, 2006
US
Hi,

Has anyone switched between two circuits using an analog switch before? I have 2 serial outputs: one with .6V and another with 3.25V, where I want to allow a user to switch between the two outputs as they wish. Is there a slick way of doing this that anyone knows??

Thanks,

swb1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends a lot on what your signal levels are, if bipolar or positive, what current you need to source, what frequency contents the signals have, how much cross-talk you can accept and what supply voltages you have. For the task at hand, I would look at the old 4066 CMOS swicth, or a DG508 or similar. The 4066 is a very simple thing with moderatetly good channel resistance. It has four switches so you can parallel them two and two for lower switch resistance. It can be fed from TTL +5 V up to something like +18 V.

Gunnar Englund

This request is a bit fishy. It seems you are switching digital serial lines but the logic levels are dubious.

When you say 3.25V do you mean a 0V to +3.25V logic? That is very standard.

When you say 0.6V do you mean 0V to +0.6V? That is highly non-standard. Or was it a typo?

When I say 3.25V, I mean +/- 3.25VDC with a +/- 1.25VDC threshold

When I say 0.6V, I mean +/- 0.6VDC with a +/- 0.15VDC threshold

Also the data runs at 10MHz.

Thanks,

swb1

Dear swb1.

If you had told us that the signal is bipolar, you would have saved a lot of confusion. Now, you are creating even more confusion by introducing a "threshold" in the signal. A signal cannot have a threshold. What is it really that you want to do?

Gunnar Englund

Some of the 4000 series analog switches can work above 10MHz, some cannot.
I have sucessfully used 4051, 4052, and 4053s above 10MHz. Some 74HC40xx can go to 90-100MHz (Philips, TI, ST).
Swing range depends on your voltage rails you run it on. Use a +/-5V supply, and you can go +/-4.5V with the signals.

-Bill
CE Designer Forum

Thanks for all the input/feedback guys. One other question, anyone ever use a line driver to drive a transformer?? if so, what parts do you recommend??

Thanks,

swb1

swb1,
you might look at the maxim IC max328/329 it may be a little slow for 10 MHz but a related device may be the ticket. godd luck.

xray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back