Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using desired volume to drive cut-extrude depth dimension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffatmines

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2009
US
I've got a funky shaped plastic fuel tank, and a fuel level sensor that measures a depth from a given point on the sensor. I used a cutout to create a solid part representing the fuel at a volume we want to call full. Since Creo can calculate the volume for me, I also know the volumes at 3/4 full, 1/2 full, and 1/4 full. But because of the odd shape, I don't know the exact dimension to cut-extrude down to to achieve the final volume. I'm working with Creo 2.0. I'm thinking that an iterative while or if/then is the only way to get close. Are there any built-in features where I could drive the depth dimension of a cut-extrude by a final desired volume? Thanks in advance!

Jeff Parham
Mechanical Engineer - Design
New Product Development
Colorado School of Mines '09

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Answered my own question. Figure I'd post my solution.

1) Create a cut-extrude to some arbitrary depth.
2) Create a feature that measures volume and save it. Analysis > Measure > Volume > select the part > make note of the units or change them to the units you want the volume to be in > select disk icon > Make sure "Make Feature" is selected and hit ok.
3) On the Analysis tab, select Feasibility/Optimization. Optimization is the default and what you want.
4) Under Goal: Minimize is the default which is fine. In the other pull-down, pick the volume feature you created in step #2
5) Under Design Constraints: Select Add and pick the volume you created in step #2.
6) Change the value to the desired volume in the same units as the feature in step #2
7) Under Design Variables: Select Add Dimension, select the cut extrude created in step #1, and select the dimension for depth.
8) Set the minimum and maximum that you want the depth dimension to be. I went with 0.01 as my min and the height of the volume as the max.
9) Select compute.

A graph should pop up showing the number of iterations it did to converge on a solution, and the depth of the cut extrude will now be set to the right dimension that achieves the desired volume. When you select close, you can either rest or confirm. If you confirm and later want to reset, just edit the definition on the cut extrude from step #1.

Jeff Parham
Mechanical Engineer - Design
New Product Development
Colorado School of Mines '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back