Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Excel Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidhardhead

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2006
Is it possible to have SW read a specific excel cell? For instance, if I want my pipe thickness to read excel cell A25 and the pipe diameter to read cell J43.
In other words I would like to use one externally linked excel summary sheet to drive multiple part drawings and assembly drawings.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you explain what you mean by "excel summary sheet"?

You cannot drive part or assy drawings with an excel file. You can however, drive part or assy models with Design Tables which in turn will drive the drawings.

A Design Table can be linked to an external Excel spreadsheet, and the data used to drive the properties, dimensions, etc of a part or assembly model.

[cheers]

OK.. so this is what I did:

1.) I linked my external excel spreadsheet file to my part. The excel file has values which I would like to use to drive my part on random cells. (ex. B2, C18, A4 etc..)

2.) Next, I tried to link a specific dimension in my model to a specific cell in the design table. The procedure I used was:
a.) selected the SW part to activate the dimension.
b.) once the dimension was activated, I double clicked
on it so that I can link it to the cell of my
choice in the design table.

Here is the error that pops up:

"Server Busy:
This action cannot be completed because the other program is bust. Choose 'switch to' to activate the busy program and correct the problem"

The interesting thing is that SW is the only program I have open. I closed the excel file after I linked it.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??

Thanks

It sounds to me like you may want to read up on Design Tables in the help. You can't link a dimension to a specific cell. Design tables are formatted and set up in a specific way. You can link the correct cell of a properly-formatted design table to a random cell of an external spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back