Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using existing water drainage channels under roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAFS

Chemical
Aug 3, 2004
PT
Hello
I have a question relating to the use of existing rainwater channels under highways (I´m not sure about the correct technical term for these channels, as I am a chemical engineer).
I need to pass a pipeline through (under) a highway, and was thinking of using the existing water drainage channels to do this. Howver, a colleague told me that the curent standard in my country doesn't allow the passage of new pipelines through existing water drainage channels. My question is: do you know any standard that allows for this use of water channels? How can this be done?
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you say drainage channel, are you referring to an open channel such as a stream or a ditch, or are you referring to a pipe? What type of pipeline are you going to install?

In this case it is a concrete open channel, not a pipe. We intend to install a gas pipeline.

Your first concern is the integrity of the pipeline, and locating in on the surface of a concrete channel makes it susceptible to structural damage and to corrosion. The normal method for a roadway crossing (at least in my area) is to locate the pipe line in a casing pipe. The casing is usually steel pipe and can be augered i place. This provides protection for the pipeline and allows it to be removed without excavating the roadway. Surface mounting a pipeline to a concrete channel is not a gooed idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back