Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

using geometry from pipes created with systems routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordrailie

Marine/Ocean
Feb 16, 2005
ES
I did some piping for a hydraulic system and water system, and i would like to use the geometry of the pipes, to make holes in walls or in elements, is that possible? i cannot use the geometry of the pipes, not even export it to iges or step.

anyone faced this problem?

I am using md2 license plus sr1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Just use in context your pipes to create new solids and extract them (or remove in a boolean operation) from what you want to drill.

You said that you cannot use the geometry of the pipes? Then may be you can extract some surfaces and use them for your new solids.

New solids can be intersections between pipes (or geometry extracted from) and other parts.

Regards
Fernando

I cannot extract any geometry from them, it appears the forbidden sign every time i want to extract any geometry.

Thanx

Fernando (are u spanish?)

Hi,

No, I'm not Spanish but I'm Latin (European, not Italian, not French, not Portuguese, guess what).

Speaking seriously now, I saw in Penetration Management (in Piping Design) a catalog which should contain different types of holes (but mines doesn't contain, unfortunately).

There is a command which is named Place Holes and which is connected with that catalog. I think you can use this to create holes (and I hope you can solve your problem without any other complications).

Regards
Fernando

Hi,

I'm just curios. Did you solved the problem? If not, you can use a power copy to create pipes and isolations in new CATParts using their bend points coordinates.

I used something like this and it works fine.

Regards
Fernando

Hi,

Accidentally, I found a solution for your problem. In DMU Navigator you can make a section through the product and export (sectioning definition-result-export as) that section as a catpart with an open body inside (in fact is a wireframe representing intersections between sectioning plan and the parts inside the assembly).

This open body can include also intersections with pipes which can be copied in the parts you want to make holes.

Regards
Fernando

Hello - don't know that this will help , but Penetration Management is the function within Catia for creating links between tube elements and regular CatParts. I have not found much use for it personally, it seems to be more for keeping track of an interface than actually being useful in any way for creating geometry.
Alternatively, if you go into Place Parts in Tubing Design, and place tube elements (straights and bends) on top of your tubing run, these tube elements, which act more like real catparts, may be able to be used to create linkable geometry - section cuts, centerlines, points or something?
It seems to me the tubing design package in V5, while I really like some aspects of it like being able to drag and drop bend points and such, works very poorly with regular CatParts and is completely divorced from the "Associative Design" functionality that is the real strength of V5.
I only hope that Dassault will continue to improve it and make it A LOT more user friendly.
On a related note, for extracting bend data, try the following - this was advice given to me and I have yet to try it: "Check out the V5 on-line documentation page 'Extracting Bending Data from Bendable Pipes and Tubes'. This explains how to use the Catia supplied PslTubingExtract.CATScript and PslTubingExtractTemplate.xls to generate bend data tables."
Good Luck -
Kelly S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back