Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using HYSYS for two phase blowdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

almostbroken

Petroleum
Sep 15, 2004
CA
I am having a disagreement with our Safety guy. He says HYSYS can not handle two phase blowdowns. Any proof one way or the other?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Far as I know, HYSYS doesn't do two-phase flow. Use Pipephase instead. If your flow goes sonic though you are SOL because Pipephase doesn't do M>1. Pete

You can try Dynamic depressurising module in HYSYS and it will do calculate. Hysys can able to two phase. If you want more details send email to HYSYS support service, they will reply in day or two.

G.K.Patel

Dynamic depressurising module in HYSYS consider a vessel with VAPOR only or VAPOR-LIQUID or VAPOR-LIQUID-AQUEOUS subject to your input stream. You can either depressure VAPOR or LIQUID (flashing) subject to your choice in HYSYS. In most cases (if not all) in a plant (per my limited experiences) , depressuring is via VAPOR depressuring. As you depressure VAPOR, it discharge to disposal system like flare which is normally design to take large vapor flow but NOT large liquid ...

He says HYSYS can not handle two phase blowdowns.

Above statement is confusing. A vessel with VAPOR & LIQUID in it but only VAPOR (and/or LIQUID) depressuring, is it correct to say "HYSYS can handle two phase blowdown" ? May be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back