Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Logical Statements with Expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooldeziner

Aerospace
Oct 14, 2005
US
Way back in UG version 16 I designed a complex dynamic assembly in which I used logic statements (if-then, etc.) Does that function still exist in NX? Also, as I recall, UG had its own format for the various statements.
Thanks for any info on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The logic statments IF and IF/THEN/ELSE are still supported in Expressions and you can still control the Suppression status of Components using Expressions, so I guess the answer to your question is, YES, you can still do whatever you did back in UG V16.0. And in fact we've added some additional Expression functions since then so you'll probably have even more ways to control the content of an Assembly. As for the Logic formats, we've even added a function, called the 'Conditional Builder', which is part of the 'Extended Text Entry' tool, to make it even easier to set-up logic statements.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks, John. Only one more question, where do I find the commands? I'm just back on NX after 5 years of Catia, still learning where all the buttons are.

You can find the Suppress (Component) by Expression at...

Assemblies -> Components -> Edit Suppression Status...

...after selecting the Component and the above option, enter the name of teh expression is the enter window below the option but remember to first create an Expression to control the Suppression state. Setting the Expression value to '1' will unsuppress the Component. Seeting it to '0' (zero) will suppress the Component.

As for setting up the Expression Logic statements, you can either type them directly into the Expression editor or you can select the the 'Extended Text Entry' icon in the lower right side of the Expression dialog. Once in the new text entry window is open, select the second icon at the top labeled 'Insert Conditional'. Here you will find a sort of 'wizard' for formatting logical IF statemetns.

Anyway, that should point you in the right direction since you say you've done this sort of thing in the past, it should all come back to you, like never forgetting how to ride a bike ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

tooldeziner --

Those "other" new functions are under the Functions [f(x)] button in the lower right corner of the Expressions dialog. (Red circle in the attached image...)

This same Functions dialog is available inside the Extended Text Area, which you can use to format your complex logical expression in a more understandable way. (Red square in the attached image...)

download.aspx

Does that help?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
(Phoenix, Arizona)

Units are also new with expressions since the last time you used NX.
They are nice but can cause trouble too, you will know what I mean when it happens to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back