Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using non-standard threads in NX10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Green

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2017
NL
I'm sure that this must have been covered before but my searching isn't being helpful so:

I am trying to create a tapped hole with the thread M100x4 unfortunately the hole feature only gives the option for M100x6 and I can't find a way to change this. On the same sort of line, how would I put in a tapped hole to a different thread standard, eg BSP, NPT, UNF, etc.?
The tapped hole feature seems incredibly limited, though this may of course be how the system has been set up.

Nick Green
Lead Design Engineer
IHC Engineering Business Ltd.
UK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to find in Metric-Fine or GB Table

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

For some reason the standard under Threaded Hole in Customer Defaults had been set to 'Metric Coarse'. Changing this to ISO suddenly revealed a whole load of other thread forms.

However it doesn't address the fact that I wish to have a thread that is M100x4, not M100x6 that is coarse and M100x2 which is the only Metric Fine option. It isn't unknown to specify an OD & Pitch for large diameter threads but it would appear that NX won't let you do this. It also doesn't list all the metric fine threads, e.g. M10x1.0 which I have used a number of times.

Nick Green
Lead Design Engineer
UK

GB_b37o7h.png

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Well that has sorted out one issue but raises more questions.
I never heard of any of the GB193 standard, or of any of those listed below it. A quick search on NX help & the internet doesn't give any great help except GB193 might be a Chinese standard.
Could anyone help with what all these standards are?

Nick Green
Lead Design Engineer
UK

GB is Chinese standard indeed.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.