Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Nonmetallic Composite Repair Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFFFF12345

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2015
SA
The new generation of non-metallic composite systems could be used to repair corroded, weakened and holed asset walls in pressure vessels, tanks or piping components,these requirements are parts of international codes ISO24817 and ASME PCC-2, has anybody have an experience in utilizing these material to reduce the repair cost and enhance the utilization of the new generations of non-metallic composite material during the repair times?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aviation has a lot of experience with bonded metallic and composite repairs. I have knowledge of ISO 24817, and while the standard is suited to pipework, I would caution against using the standard for repairs to pressure vessels, and I would caution that some of the minimal surface preparation methods should be carefully evaluated for each application, especially pressure vessels. I would recommend that surface preparation is evaluated using the wedge test ASTM D3762.

Rgerads
Max

Composite repair of cylindrical pipes has one major factor in its favor. You can do a full wrap around the pipe so there is very little peel stress. Plus, even if you get a full disbond you still have hoop containment, so you will only have a minor leak to contend with rather than catastrophic failure. Flat repairs rely completely on the bond integrity. Once failure starts they tend to unzip due to peel stresses.

Agree totally CP. Hence my concerns that people understand the absolute necessity for use of valid surface preparation to ensure bond longevity. It is critical that people understand that short term bond strength does not assure long term bond survival. Hence the need for wedge testing to validate bond survivability.

Regards

Max

Thanks ALL, Do you have experience in qualification/application of composite material in different repair systems (gouges, crack, wall thinning, pitting holes, wall thinning)? how long applied non-metallic composite repair will withstand without failure? what are the best companies / manufactures?

Dear FFF

As per our experience, we have a call of contract with Cape company which are responsible for Img wrapping for low thickness of pipeline and nozzle of pressure vessels. The procedure as follows:

1- Integrity recommendation
2- Contract submissions for their proposed design
3- Company revision as per contract submission proposal.
4- final approval based on pressure and temperature.

Put it in your mind composite repair only as temporary solution.

Dear all

Anyone have new ideas rather than composite repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back