Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using of mechanical coupler in a cantilever beam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Designer!

Is it allowed by the code to used a coupler for all the reinforcement of a cantilever beam? The reason why is, the construction of core/shearwall will be casted ahead by two floors. Please enlighten me. Than you in advance

Eeedesign
My goodness, do we need code approval, or a code paragraph covering blinking, if we want to blink these days? If the couplings develop the rebar fully, and don’t cause congestion which inhibits conc. placement and consolidation, what’s the question. If I piled up every detail I’ve ever done which was not explicitly covered by code verbiage, but complied with the basic intent of the code and good sound engineering judgement and experience, I’d have a pretty high pile of details. Why have we gotten to the point where we won’t do anything, in the way of engineering, if it isn’t explicitly covered by a paragraph in the code? We’ve become so chicken shit that we won’t do anything if there isn’t a design guide formula which we can plug our own numbers into for the definitive answer.

Why Using ACI (Especcially in the Middle East) if BAEL or EUROCODE give a very more economical results?

EYFS, Sometimes the most economical design is not the most applicable. You shouldn't be picking and choosing which code you use to suit the economics.

In areas where there is no building authority I believe it is the engineer's responsibility to discuss with the client the pros and cons of each available code and let them decide which code they would like to design the ENTIRE project to. That way the client is involved, slightly educated, and receives a final product that meets their requirements.

Mechanical couplers which develop the bar can of course be used. Why not? But for a cantilevered beam off a core, there are other considerations. The core has to be able to handle the imposed load, and there needs to be an appropriate key to take the reaction in bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back