Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

using open discussion sites like these 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msucog

Civil/Environmental
Feb 7, 2007
US
not sure exactly where this question might go but this seemed like a reasonable spot.

any thoughts on the consequences of using sites like these? for instance, at what point might it become a liability to openly correspond about projects, problems, test methods/procedures, calculations, observations, etc.? in other words, say 5 years down the road, i'm called in to court over a problem with a project...can someone use things i've said over the years on this website against me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes what you say is very sensible but, here in Eng-Tips, the perceived 'uniform' is that of a 'professional', and by responding to a question the implication is that you care.

Does that also make sense?

[cheers]

Yes, care, but not worry.
If they decide to move in and I am the target, well, that's a good time to declare bankruptcy and move to some country with a warm climate, lots of nicely suntanned ladies on the beach, a low cost of living, cheap booze and no extradition.

JMW

jmw, while reading your reply, I glance out my cubicle window, see the snow squall moving in and am thinking to myself, "What the heck, why wait till they move in? I'll even take the wife if she wants to go with me."

[cheers]

But then you have the problem of breaking the new model in. I'm kind of used to the current model and would be hard pressed to find another as accommodating (read tolerant and forgiving) of my ways. Plus I'd like all my pieces to remain attached.

[cheers]

It really comes down to the evidence a judge or jury could be presented on the person having a duty to care. Nothing I've posted here has raised my duty to care to make me liable, but perhaps others have posted more information that raises the standard.

In general, though, I don't think there is. If there was, the state licensing boards would have shut eng-tips.com a long time ago for offering engineering advice to the public without a license. Since no state board has complain, I believe we're safe.

what?! a sense of humor on an engineering website? wow! my mind is blown...(gonna be a cold winter apparently)

Not all engineers come from a certain European country alleged to have the best engineers and no sense of humour (as compensation they get to beat England at soccer any time they meet which then proves the English have no sense of humour either, well, maybe not, you have to have a sense of humour to keep on playing and losing).

Actually, some of the best engineers don't mind humour (or wives) but they do seem to like booze.

Reminds me of a song I just heard on the radio....by Hank J Williams:
At least you don't need to drink to enjoy the jokes.

JMW

The British have to have a sense of humor-they cloned sheep before they taught them how to cook.
If a lawyer wants to use this against me, I don't care. If my wife wants to use this against me, it wasn't me, and it isn't funny
Lost my first engineering job with Union Carbide because of Bhopal. It still is not funny.
Worked in Germany for three years. They still are not funny (except at Oktoberfest when they pee in each other's krug if it is left unattended-when you're drunk everything is funny).
I switched to mechanical engineering to learn how to get more head. Is that funny?
If you're worried a lawyer might come back after 5 years to press a due diligence becuase you posted on this site, now you're funny, too.

Keep your comments and questions professional and carefully worded. I would leave out things like "I'm note sure how to..." Five years hence you will have five more years of experience so your post today might not be relevant. I take your point, asking in a recorded public forum is a lot different than asking a colleague, consulting a reference, or going to the library. How about it ENG-TIPS, how long do you keep our stuff and is there a legal requirement for you to retain postings forever?

There is zero legal requirement for eng-tips to do anything, which answers a lot of previous questions...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back