Using parts to cut other parts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerPhil

Petroleum
Dec 19, 2002
GB
Hello,

I'm a recent purchaser of solidworks and have some questions. My VAR doesn't appear to that able to help hence this use of this site.

Can you have two saved parts and use one to cut the other? If so how or is there a better way?

Cheers

Phil.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes, you can insert a part under the insert pull down menu and part. Then you can go under the insert pull down menu, feature, combine and it lets you subtract, add, and common. I have tried this a few times and am not sure this is a great way to do what I want, because the part file then references the other file. I would rather have one part file to maintain.

Another way is to take the two parts, put them into an assembly, orient them just the way you need. Then there is a operation called "Cavity". What you need to do is, when in assembly mode, edit the part that will get the cutout. Then go to, in your drop downs, Insert, Features, Cavity. Then pick your other part as the Design component. If you want the cutout to be exactly the same size use a scaling factor of 0%. Otherwise, increase it to 1 to 2%. I've used this command when I needed to figure out volumes of complex shapes. This cutout will now be associated with the other part, so if you change the part you used to make the cutout, the cutout in the other part will update itself.

Superb. Thanks DHALE1 and SharkMan. I thought Solidworks would allow you to it!

I want associativity so I play with both ideas and see what works best. Thanks again.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back