Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using "Peck's Method" for design pressure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilsid

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2007
US
I'm studying for my Civil P.E. and ran across a question that said to use Peck's method to find the maximum design pressure. None of my reference material says anything about this method and an internet search has also been fruitless. Any good references would be helpful.

Also looking for any good recommendations on passing the exam in April. Are most of the questions math based equation questions or are there a lot of "non-quantitative" type questions? (I will take water resources in the afternoon.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bowles(Josepth Bowles, 1997, Foundation Anaylsis and Design, 5th Ed, McGraw-Hill International Series) and Fang (Hsai-Yang Fang, 1991, Foundation Engineering Handbook, 2nd Ed)gave good explanation of Peck's method. Fang is a very good reference for the practice, but it is very expensive, and don't think you need it for the PE exam)

The method applies:
1) If applies to excavation >>20ft deep (Fang) (That means your question would not be applicable in a practical situation)
2) The piezometric surface is below the bottom of the excavation (Fang)
3) an artificial loading designated as 'apparent' is applied (Fang, Bowles)

For soft to medium clay Pressure: P = 1.0Ka x unit wt x H
(The unit wt in this case is NOT the effective unit wt)

Maximum pressure occurs at 0.25H, and is constant below that depth.

Ka = 1 - m((2qu)/yH) (Fang)

Where m is a reduction factor

For stiff fissured clay:

P = Kap x y x H (Bowles)

where Kap = 0.2 to 0.4

In the case your question,you have stiff clay (qu = 6000psf as was pointed out by "Oldestguy". Note: c = qu/2)

Rigglly - Fang isn't that expensive if you happen to be visiting Bombay, Delhi or Calcutta! Something like an equivalent of $17 to $18; now you can get round trip air tix from NYC to Bombay for about $700 . . . yeah, unless you are there, it is a bit expensive!

Did you ever figure out the answer? I too am stuck on that question and can't seem to find any formula to use. I am also studying for the PE exam this April. I missed passing it in October by one point. Now I am Determined to pass it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back