Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using Remote Earth as the Return Path for a HRG MV System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayaker11

Electrical
Jul 3, 2009
CA
Does anyone have any history with or heard of any anecdotes of someone using remote earth intentionally as the return path on a high resistance grounded system?

I have a MV distribution system that feeds mobile mining equipment that is tied to a utility substation ground grid and is subject to excessive GPR transfer. I have the ability to build a very low resistance remote ground system out near the mining facilities using abandoned deep well casings. Here's the rub. The MV distribution system feeds a myriad of other loads that I cannot isolate from the substation ground system so I can't fall back on building a safety ground bed. It would be a fairly straight-forward matter to get the mining system grounds back to the safety ground bed but other feeders on this MV system also feed the mill, crushing, infrastructure etc that are inseparable from the substation ground. That rules out tying the secondary of the MV transformer to the remote ground grid through the NGR.

If I separate the mining ground system from the substation ground grid but leave the NGR on the substation grid, the only path for ground current back to the MV winding NGR is via remote earth. If my two grids, substation and mine, are isolated low-resistance-to-remote-earth and the ground protection will still operate through remote earth is this a legit solution?

One of my main holdbacks is that IEEE 142, in the section on safety ground systems/ portable mining equipment supplies, states that for proper operation "earth cannot be used as a grounding conductor". I wonder if this isn't because safety ground bed is typically built with a much a higher resistance to remote earth than the main substation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you ground everything in sight, utilize deep well grounds and tie equipment grounding buses to the ground grid, and then insert your Neutral Grounding Resistor between the transformer Neutral and the grounding system?
Maybe I don't understand the problem.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Unfortunately not. If I move my MV transformer NGR grounding off the main substation grid and out to the mine "remote" grid, I would have all the other non-mine MV feeders that go to the process plant etc all having to go through remote earth to the remote new remote mine grid. The process plant, infrastructure and all the other feeders except for the mine feeders butt right up against the utility substation and the ground systems are completely enmeshed. The only one I can separate is the mine grounds but if I do that, my NGR can't come with me and ground faults would have to get back to the NGR through earth.

Will this work, and will it be acceptable to the applicable regulations?
As I understand it, the MV transformer is at the substation.
High resistance ground the transformer locally.
At the remote location, add a grounding transformer to the local ground grid.
With everything at the mine site locally bonded to a local (to the remote site) robust ground grid, any transferred potentials should be common mode potential with no or little touch potential between the earth and the grounded equipment.
Any ground faults on the system must still return through the NGR to the transformer neutral and be limited to low values.
You may have to monitor the ground current through the grounding transformer and somehow send that signal back to the main ground fault protection.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back