Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using RivaTuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogarila

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2001
CA
The videocard I use at work is an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT, PCI Express with 256MB memory. The one I use at home is an ATI Radeon X1300, PCI Express with 512MB memory.

I would like to use RivaTuner to tweak both these videocards into something closer to SolidWorks approved cards.

I believe the latest RivaTuner release which is 2.0 RC15.8 has support for both GeForce 6800 GT and X1300.

My questions are:

1.Was anyone succesful in tweaking any of the videeo cards mentioned above?

2. What are the steps in using RivaTuner?

I spent a lot of time at but couldn't find a clear answer or a step by step guide, so please, don't tell me to go there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try doing a search in this forum for "rivatuner" and you will get a lot of prior discussions. One of particular interest to you would be thread559-87811.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Hi, i think I had some success with 6800NU.
I start with the complete instructions from Rivatuner & softquadro4.
Had a 4200x8 to start that worked as Quadro.
Then got a partially faulty 6800NU put that in without uninstalling driver & it detected it as FX4000 !

Also there is a site that shows where to change 2 or 3 surface mount resistors & gives Dell bios to realy change a 6800 into a proper FX4000 (also other AGP such as FX5700=FX1000 & FX5900=FX3000) all the details. If you search you should find it if your game.

Which core does your card have? NV4x... (like NV42 for the 6800gs), the only cores that will unlock to proper quadro functions are the nv40's and the early nv43's (A1/A2 rev).
You might have more luck with the ATI card, if it is supported in the 5.13 driver you can find proper patch scripts for that one.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

I beleive Stefan is correct - you won't be able to hack the GeForce 6800 GT PCI card. I have one at home and have not yet heard of a successful hack. Its still a pretty good card though, for a good price.

Yes the 6800 was NV40 did not see PCI-E & although it registered as FX4000 don't think it was so good as Quadro, best to do the full thing as below, The 4200x8 worked very well softmodded as Quadro.
But watch
Just upgraded at work from GeForce to FX1300, it rocks in comparison for SW.

Does anyone know if the softmod handicaps the card in gaming applications? Also, I read that uninstalling the drivers will reverse the install but if there was some way to toggle it temporarily one way or the other that would be ideal--does anyone know if this is possible?

In order to benefit from the Quadro hack for SW and not to suffer performance loss in games, I recomend dual booting your machine. (Quadro'ing your card wiil cause it to run slower in games.) On my machine at home I have "work" boot that loads up my BFG 6800 GT AGP as a Quadro for SW, and a "game" boot for M$ Flight 2004. Best of both worlds and 100% stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back