Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using sketch driven features in assembly environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janz99

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2012
CA
Hey guys, I'm new to solid edge, so be gentle :D

I have a small assembly, and I am trying to great a cutout on one of the parts based on a sketch that I created. To create the sketch I over lapped the two parts with associated constraints, then traced out the cutout I would need to project onto the other part.

I then go to the cutout option, create from sketch, highlight and give it the depth it needs, but it keeps saying "click on the parts to include in the cutout" and will not create the cutout.

Before I started the sketch I made sure the part that will be getting the cutout is "active", so I'm not sure why it keeps asking me this? Hopefully this all makes sense, if not I will include some screen shots if you guys think that might help.

This was done on ST4, in the assembly environment.

Thanks
Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Janz,

I am running ST2, but the process should be the same. I opened the assembly and then click on the "Cut" option in the Features tab. I then chose the Creat Assembly Features option and hit ok.From there I was able to create the cut by selecting a sketch face. When it comes to the option of selecting parts, just click on the parts to be cut. To deselect a part, hold control and click on the part. I have some screen shots of my progess. Hope this helps!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c0b3f53a-1951-45da-8ee3-7b2f93767024&file=Cut.doc
I just tried that, and I'm still not having any luck. When it comes to selecting or deselecting the parts at the end of the process this is where I am having the issue.

For some reason when I run my mouse over the parts to select or even deselect, nothing highlights. I cant select the parts in which I want to create the cutout in.

Finally figured it out. Tried something different and it worked much better. Right click on the part in the assembly you would like to make changes to, edit, then you can edit any features of that part within the assembly environment!

In most cases, that's the best way to do it... in the part file.
And a side note, if you wish to do a cutout using text, such as an engraving, it is the only way.

-av8errr
Solid Edge ST3 MP9
HP Z400 W3565 @3.00GHz
Win XP X64
15GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

What if there was a sketch in an over laying component that you wanted to use as a cutout on another part? Im trying to keep a partial, complex outer profile of a part the same within a few assembly components and Im having a bit of a tough time.

In general, I try not to use sketches that much.
I generate the geometry in the initial part file, say for instance a set of splined teeth.
I would generate the initial tooth, and pattern it.
Then, if I needed to utilize that geometry in another part for a cutout or protrusion, i would "Include" from the first part while in the second part.

That way if you change the first part, the second will update.
That is assuming you are using history based, and not sync.

-av8errr
Solid Edge ST3 MP9
HP Z400 W3565 @3.00GHz
Win XP X64
15GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Can you explain the "include" in a bit more detail? I'm new to solid edge and 3d cad modelling, so any help I can get is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back