Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using SS bolts on CS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA Abdullah

Mechanical
May 9, 2023
PK
The CS vessel i am designing has an SS stack on it. There are two flanges joining the stack to the vessel, one flange is CS (attached to vessel) and the other is SS (attached to stack). Now I am confused that at this junction which bolt material should I choose; CS or SS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically CS, but the correct answer is difficult to give as a lot of details are missing. What service conditions do you have for example?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

I'd first point out that all of the Code bolting materials that I'm familiar with (SA-193, SA-320, etc.) used for pressure equipment are actually considered to be low alloy materials, not carbon steel.

I don't know the specifics of your particular application but my experience has been that low alloy bolts are routinely used with stainless equipment provided that the bolts are not exposed to the fluid being processed/stored.

-Christine

The vessel service is Caustic, temp is 100C and pressure is 150 psig. So far taking ASME VIII Div I UG 44 into consideration I have decided to use SA 193 B8 CL2 bolt material which is SS. Although, I do wonder, doesn't CS material cause contamination in SS material? I mean when we manufacture the materials we make sure that SS equipment are kept separate from CS to avoid any kind of contamination, won't that be an issue here?

or as per @Christine bolt materials are low alloys and not CS so there is no chance for contamination regardless of using SA 192 B7 or SA 193 B8 Cl2

Make everything CS, including stack and flange (which you intend to make SS).

Go for internal painting at the stack location to prevent dew point corrosion.

Else, you would be inviting galvanic corrosion of the CS.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

What is the atmospheric classification of the site? If it is C5, or CX, maybe avoid B8. B7 with suitable corrosion protection will suffice. Note: suitable protection is one that either will provide cathodic protection or one that will not suffer degradation that exposes small areas.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

I would go with CS bolts (SA193-B7s) still. They will be cheaper than SA193-B8Cl2s & will match all your other vessel studs. They also will perform better from a stud relaxation standpoint (if that becomes as issue). And you won't have to worry about the potential of galling SS bolt threads

Q: How the Caustic vessel connected to the SS stack (vent to ATM?) under the 150psig pressure? And, it's helpful if a picture can be shared?

IMO, the bolting on the flange (CS to SS material) is acceptable in the dry ATM environment. it may consider to have a protective coating if it's in the wet and coast environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back