Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using standard fittings under EN 13445

Status
Not open for further replies.

XL83NL

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2011
NL
Something Ive been wondering quite some time, and can’t get grip on.

A lot of the vessels we do are quite small in size, say shell sizes vary from NPS 2" to NPS 8". They use a lot of standard pipe fittings, such as straight and reducing tees, ecc. and conc. reducers, pipe caps, and elbows. When dealing with the EU market, our customers (most of which are multinational (bio-)chemical, oil/gas, and pharmaceutical companies) are gradually switching to EN 13445 for PV design and construction.

The analogy of this issue to ASME VIII-1 is simple. B16.9 fittings can be used, quite easily, under ASME VIII-1 without a lot of calculations (UG-44), unless theyre modified in some way. Even for making openings or branches if you like in shells (apart maybe from discussions such as this one).

When doing design of vessels to EN 13445, there's little to nothing in the code for the design of fittings, such as tees and reducers. Openings obviously are covered, but there's nothing about the EN equivalent of B16.9 fittings, which is EN 10253-4 or 10253-4, depending on MOC. This standard is referenced in EN 13445-2, but not in part 3 (i.e. EN 13445-3). Looking in parts 1, 2 and 3 for 'elbow' or 'tee' doesnt give a single relevant hit. There's no single section in EN 13445(-3) that in itself covers tees or whatsoever. Maybe reducers can be covered under conical shapes, but that would probably require knowing dimensions that arent standardized, hence not known upfront.

EN 13445-3 does have some possible clues to using standard tees, albeit using some bypasses and workarounds (either reducing or straight): the closest I could find was figure 9.4-11, but it seems that's of little use for straight tees as the general requirements under para 9.4.5.1.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or ideas on good/sound engineered workarounds, preferably previosuly accepted by NoBo's?

Thanks.

Huub

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, I've been some research but couldn't find anything either. And the directive itself just mentions parts and assemblies but as I understand you have to calculate the whole assembly.

Regards,

Thanks MGZ. My question is not related to the directive (I assume you mean PED 2014/68/EU).

Any else who has some thoughts on this?

Huub

Good afternoon again, I was thinking that you also have EN 12516-2:2014. It is harmonized under PED directive and has calculations for figures like attached.

kc in EN 12516 is the join factor (z in EN 13445-3, same criteria)
f = allowable stress. Same safety factors as in EN 13445
Thickness also as in EN 13445. Nominal - tolerance - corrosion allowance

Hope it helps

Regards,

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=062064b3-cbe2-4dc1-9e82-f20de653a1df&file=EN_12516-2_Fig_11.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back