Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using standard parts colors/materials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
Is there a central colors/materials library for attaching to Solid-Edge parts or must I redefine the same color in each assembly I want to use a non-standard color in?
For instance- AutoCAD (std) uses a central library. Once you've designed a material/color and added it to the central library, its available for all parts in all designs. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Part go to Format then into Style and select Face Styles there you can modify and make new Face Colors. Jason West
CAD Manager
Diamond Automation

Thanks for your reply. I was already aware that I can modify and make new face colors. What disappointed me was that when I opened up another assembly using a similar part that I wanted to be the same color, I could not see an occurrance of the material/color I had defined in the previous assembly. So- do I have to redefine the material color anew for each assembly I use it in? Did I not select an option to save the definition globally? Thanks again!

What Ver. are you on, I'm running Ver 11 and when you set the part color in part mode it will show in the assembly mode. If not go to Tools, Color Manager and check Use Individual part styles, and also check Show part face colors. Hope this is what your looking for. Jason West
CAD Manager
Diamond Automation

To get the colors you want you have to define them in your template files, open your normal.asm template file or whatever assembly template files you normally use and define the non-standard colors you want there, then every new assembly you make will have those colors.
To copy colors to an existing assembly file, open the existing assembly, then choose format -> style
and select "faces style" from the style type box.
Press the "organizer button", here you can browse for an assembly file that already has the colors defined that you want. and copy them into the open file.

Edgeomatic-
Thanks. That's exactly the reply I needed. I've only been usin S-E for just at 1 month now, and you'd be surprised how much even the senior users here don't know. These are sharp guys. Clearly the answers to such questions are less intuitive than they ought to be. Yor post helped. I've recently givenup on the S-E Help index. There's lots of "Here's what we can do!" and little practical how-to. Any good 3rd party books you'd recommend?
Thanks-
C.F.

cfee,

Glad I could be of help, as far as I know theres only 1 3rd party book that I know of, but I don't know if it's any good. The best advice I can give you for an information resource is to go to the News groups that are hosted by EDS. They are private newsgroups available to those with valid maintinance accounts. You'll need to get a "webkey" to access them, you can also get access to the online version of the "mechanical quarterly" which has some excellent information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back