Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the new Intel Apples w/ SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2006
US
I've got a fat wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've decided to invest in a workstation for the house... Now, the question is this, will the new Apple G5 w/ Intel chips run windows? And if so, will it run SW?

If not, I've settled on a Velocity Micro unless you folks have better suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Comparing apples to apples (and not Apples), Xi Computer generates a more cost-effective quote. You may want to check them out. I've posted about my system in the past and you'll be able to dig up a lot in similar threads with a search. So if you save money by switching vendors, you can blow it on extras if you like to spend it (like a SpacePilot, better graphics card, better mouse, additional software, etc.).

Meanwhile, I would think switching to an Apple to run Windows at this time would be quite risky--getting Apple-approved hardware to function with Windows drivers will probably be impossible for most items on the market (for now). That will likely change within six months.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Well, there is a little temptation...

According to these folks... ... it's possible to run SW - and some folks are. Although, from what they are saying, I suspect they are not "power" users.

Well, as superficial as it is, it would be really nice to have a pretty workstation for the casa. I know, I know... But, hey we all like supermodels.

If this were to work, and work well, I could spend the rest of my days trying to eliminate engineering drawings and go to a 3D world...

What's the big draw for the Mac? Intel isn't exactly cutting-edge for processors these days (although I'm sure they'll change that soon or face even more critical market loss to AMD).

If it's the case, swap cases with something truly nice. Xi doesn't make beige boxes (that I know of) for workstations--at least mine's not! It's a good case, but certainly not an Italian piece of art.

If you'd like to spend a lot of money, hire an industrial designer to design an amazing case (don't know where you'll find a good industrial designer--ahem). Or buy several computers of different types. Or buy a Ferrari.

Jeff Mowry

I have never had any interest in Mac's and probably never will, unless they drastically change someday.

zissou, In a 3D world you still have eng dwgs.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

If you have money to burn, why not buy a solid cad station instead of a hack that can't even play any modern games because of video issues? Minefield reportedly is the best it can do. Get a Boxx or Xi computer, huge flat monitor and throw in a space pilot.

Flores
SW06 SP3.0

I agree that the Apple is generally a bad idea... just different and pretty; which harkens back to my supermodel arguement.

I'm looking at the options for a PC workstation as we speak. I'm not sure what will be driving the final decision.

I already have a 3D controller, so I don't have to worry about that.

Also not a game player.

On the fight to eliminate eng dwgs... I'd like to see all the design intent, ft&a, etc conveyed in the solid model... Pipe dreams, I know.

I'm saving up for the Ferrari

Wes C.
------------------------------
When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions...

I would recommend holding off on the MAC idea for now I have tried doing this on both intel and non intel versions of the G5 and surprisingly the non-intel version using OS 10.4 running Vitrual PC with XP pro worked more smoothly than dual booting the Intel MAC with XP Pro. During single part creation and manipulation they are neck in neck but when you start getting in to assemblies and multi body parts the Intel MAC really starts slowing and doing some odd things, such as in one assebmbly that had approx 105 parts it would display the assembly fine but I was not able to select a specific part from neither the tree or display the after three or four attampts or rebuilding and waiting the Intel mac would finally just lock up.

zissou,

I understand the draw toward something "pretty" and less cookie-cutter. It would be nice if SOME PC maker would consider hiring some industrial designers with a bit of timeless design understanding. Apple excels at that.

Even so, I would think form would need to follow function in this case. No function, and you have a nice-looking paper weight.

Jeff Mowry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back