Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using the same sea-water pump for refrigeration and air-conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircraftengr

Nov 16, 2001
MY
Is it possible to connect both the refrigeration and air-conditioning to one sea-water pump? The flow rate is marginally enough to handle both systems, but physically, there doesn't seem to be a way to adapt the system.

The boat in question is relatively small with limited air-conditioning and refrigeration with one holding plate. There is no freezer. The boat is a 12V system. The air-conditioning is a reverse cycle direct expansion.

I'd appreciate some comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the waterflow is enough to run both the air conditioner an the refrigeration system, there are no problems. You just need the electrical circuity to start the pump when any of the systems will be working.

Sorry I didn't replay before. You will be using just one pump so the only thing you need to have is to attach the pump wiring to the pump switch on the air conditioner and also to the pump switch of the refrigeration system. Just check that the switches you are using allow this type of connection without energizing the alternate system when off. This way when you start the air conditioner the pump will start. When you use the refrigerator the pump will work also. This is the simpliest way to do it. If you are using a 12 V pump you can use diodes to isolate both systems. If you are using a 120 V pump and need to isolate both systems it is a little bit more complex but you can start the pump using electronic controls or solenoids. Hope this helps you.
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back