Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using UMAT - Ductile damage evolution in tensile test

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsiloufas

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2012
BR
Hello everyone.

I recently started to use Abaqus 6.10 and I want to simulate the evolution of continuum ductile damage variable in a tensile test.

I've already obtained the materials properties with experimental tests and I know what model to use (see this paper:
My problem is how do I put the UMAT subroutine into the GUI. Where do I have to tell the solver to use my subroutine to calculate the damage variable and the new stress and strain tensors?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, the only way is to use the command line:

abaqus job=<.inp-file> user=<.f-file>

You need to have the intel fortran compiler installed.

If you want to, you can send variables to the UMAT when it's called. These you can enter in the GUI, MATERIAL/GENERAL/USER MATERIAL/MECHANICALL CONSTANTS. (But if it's your Fortran code and only one user, you can also just put them in the .f

Hi
there is two ways to use Umat with abaqus
first is using the abaqus command, you should write the following in the command lines..

abaqus job=(name of your .inp file) user=(name of your Umat)

another way is with abaqus cae, in the part of material you property , in material manager you must select the User Material option, then you need enter you state variables. when your create you job in the windows "Edit Job" you need load you user material file with the "select" buttom...if it isn't clear for you, you can contact with me and i help you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back