UT Thickness Check Personnel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipoy04

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2014
QA
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to ask if we required to qualify our a technician before he can do UT thickness check on tubes or pipe?

Any code requirements for operator concerning thickness check? Since our unit also design only for material thickness verification.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pipoy04,

I've never heard about qualification of UT thickness operator. Operator should be able to use the UT thickness gauge and proceed with measurements..
If qualification is not required by customer, then it's OK as I know.

Yes, most codes have specified anyone operating a piece of UT equipment must be certified! To complete a simple thickness check (straight beam only), level 1 UT is typically the requirement and not level 2.

ASNT has an ultrasonic certification limited to digital thickness gauging only. If performing work to 49CFR Part 192/195, Operator Qualifications may be needed as well.

For Section VIII work see Section V Art. 5 and Art. 23. In Art. 23 SE-797 see paragraph 6. If required by contract, personnel should be qualified to a National or international standard. If not required by contract, the UT operator should demonstrate competence and knowledge of the technique used.

See the interpretation:

Interpretation: III-1-77-106
Subject: Section III, Division 1, Personnel Qualification
Date Issued: June 13, 1977
File Number: NI-77-173
Related Documents:

Question: Must personnel using an ultrasonic thickness gage be qualified to SNT-TC-1A?

Reply: The Code only requires nondestructive examination personnel to be qualified in accordance with SNT-TC-1A. It is not the intent of the Code that operators of an ultrasonic thickness gage not used for NDE be qualified to SNT-TC-1A.

API RP 574, sub-sub section 10.2.1.1. See also A Discussion on the Piping Thickness Management Process: Part 4 - Collecting Quality Thickness Data By A.C. Gysbers at The Equity Engineering Group, Inc.. This article appears in the May/June 2013 issue of
Inspectioneering Journal

Any self respecting equipment owner will want some form of certification given the decision content that the UT data will generate.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Dear Mr. Don56,

I have search our file for the interpretation mentioned, but I cannot find.

Can you send me the pdf file on that interpretation?

Thank you.

We, as a General Contractor, and many of our NDE service providers have training, qualification & certification programs for UT thickness examiners.

Nearly every code has some requirement for qualification of UT personnel. But that aside, even if you are not working to a code you should require at least verifiable training and qualification to the machinery being used. If the wrong probe is used, the velocity is incorrect, or even a single grain of sand is in the couplant it can change your readings by hundredths of an inch. Training is a must and qualification documents that training.

As already mentioned, certification of some type is often required and in my opinion, always a good idea.

A company can develop their own "Written Practice" using the guidelines as contained in ASNT TC1 which establishes training, OJT, and certification requirements. That written practice could be modified for your companies own use. Even if your need to perform UT is not driven by an outside source or jurisdictional requirement, don't think a written program is not of value.

I suggest contacting and ASNT LIII and reviewing some of the requirements of TC1A. I am writing one for my own use now for performing MT/PT/ and UT Thickness.

Gerald
Greeneville Tn

Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back