Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Utility line control valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Kumar

Chemical
Nov 23, 2019
IN
For any utility piping with a control valve on return side , controlling temperature of a equipment or process line in circulation. Do you think it will be a good idea to put a bypass valve for the control valve or will it be hazard that on opening bypass process temperature can go out of operating limit.
I think it depends on application if on inadvertent opening it is a major issue then not to provide bypass

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally I hate bypass valves around control valves for that exact reason. And I try to delete them every time I can.

If a valve is there, someone will open it....

So I think it's a bad idea.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

IMO, the bypass line of the control valve may not be a process requirement, but typically an O&M preference to provide the operation flexibilities. Of course, the checking of the bypass valve condition is under the Ops routine responsibility.

I think by-pass valves around control valves used to be a good idea, when lots of operators ran the plant with minimal instrumentation and no automation. Now days, I think by-pass valves can be a bad idea, with minimal operators running the plants and lots of instrumentation and automation. It may be old habits are just clinging on. Ultimately, each case needs to be evaluated on their own merits given the planned resources available.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back