Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Utilization Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorangle

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
US
I would like to ask a few questions regarding Asset Utilization Factor to compare our pratices with prevailing paratices.

Utilization Factor (UF) as we define/use it: UF is the ratio of the maximum demand of a system to the rated capacity of the system. In other words, the UF indicates the degreee to which a system is being loaded during a system peak with respect to capacity (e.g. namepalte KVA rating).

1. Are you measuring a UF

2. Where are you measuring UF at?
(for example: substation transformer, disribution transformer, distribution feeder, transmission system etc.)

3. Do you track and/or bench mark UF?

4. What are your UF targets and trends?

5. Do you have a UF target & what is the justification for that target?

6. How do you use UF information for infrastructure planning?

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Thorangle

Usually the designer gives the UF in the project papers and its applied when has to be designe dthe distribution switchgear. In fact UF depends on the type of the load and installation (i.e. there is no target). It could vary too much. By using the UF you calculate the rated current of incoming/outgoing circuit breakers and/or fuses, cable and busbar cross section etc.
Ask nearest electrical engineer and he will give you table with typical UFs for different applications. In case you can't find I will post here some data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back