Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UV blocking resin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glantman

Automotive
Feb 12, 2007
NZ
Hi,
Are there any transparent/translucent resins/additives available that will block UV light (unsure of the exact wavelengths at this stage)?
We are looking for resin to make a container out of to hold some liquid that is sensitive to UV light. The catch is we would like to be able to see (if only slightly) the amount of liquid in the container. This would be a moulded container, so glass is not practical.

Thanks,
Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any clear resins that absorb or block UV will be degraded by it.

Some UV stabilisers will do a temporary job of absorbing UV while leaving the resin clear.

Best bet would be to contact whatever Ciba calls themselves now.

My first guess at a resin would be polycarbonate, bur styrene or SAN might do, but it is a wild guess and will depend on what resin the UV absorber type stabiliser likes to be in.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Pat is right that any organic material that block UV light will become degraded, even the UV stabilizers themselves. This may not be an issue if it's only limited exposure to UV.

An altermative is inorganic UV blockers like zinc oxide and TiO2. They block UV and are not destroyed. Normally they would make the material white as the particles scatter light, but in recent years new smaller particle versions have appeared.

One TiO2 I found to be excellent was Solacor from Oxonica in the UK. It has been used for sunscreens for years and now they are making it for plastics. They use manganese to dope the TiO2, this enables the TiO2 to block all the UV wavelengths and also vastly reduces the tendency of TiO2 to attack the plastic it is in.

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

Demon 3 has the best solution.

I forgot about nano Zinc Oxide despite having a sample sitting on my desk.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back