Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UV/heat curable solder paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyverS2000

Electrical
Dec 22, 2003
US
I'm looking for a single component solder paste (no two-parts, please) for prototype work with SMDs...I'm assuming the next best thing to two-part systems would be either UV or heat curable. Can anyone suggest brands, purchase locations, etc.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nb, I've seen the Zebra connectors many times in the past but never knew they had a name...not what I need for this, but cool nonetheless. The silver paint, however, looks like it would be a great candidate...decent cure time of 3-10 minutes, no heat/UV needed, priced within prototype range. Unless I find something better, I'll probably go with a bottle of that.

Scotty, I'll keep the LocTite stuff in mind as projects size requires it. For the moment, having a shelf life measured in months and at freezing storage temps for single-component glues makes it more of a pain than it's worth.

If anyone else has any more ideas, I'm all ears...

Hi, if you just want to solder smts to a board you can just use an iron. Conductive paint will leave you with a fragile joint, and very likely shorts all over the board.

I spent a few years operating a high speed SMT assembly line. we used Kester solder paste. this was reflowed in a conveyor oven. If you are working with a relatively small number of solder joints the iron and solid solder is the way to go. The reason we used a paste was process related. The paste was aplied to the PCB via a screening machine (squeegie and metal stencil). older machines used glue to place the components and the PCB with glued components was passed through a solder fontain. all these processes are geared towards volume production. In the end a solder joint is a solder joint.

Weller TCP with PTAA or PTP and 26gauge or thinner solder.

Works for me.

Takes a bit of practice though, specially on QFPs (above 100 pins or so) or SSOP packages.

A magnifying illuminator helps too, specially as you get towards 50 and the old eyes get longer and longer sighted.

rgds
Zeit.

Hi Mac:
What kind of frequency ? Can't you use socket and through-
hole discretes?

Do you need to build it in final size?

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Hmmm, just noticed my reply from a day or two ago never apeared here :(

I consider myself an accomplished solderman, so that's not the issue. The components are going onto a flexible substrate that for prototype purposes only needs to last a few weeks/months while I dink around with new ideas and placement. Not sure how well the silver paint will hold up to flexing in the lab, but if it holds on for a few weeks I'd be satisfied.

Obviously production units would use a higher strength resin, but mixing stuff up for a few components is more of a pain then I would like. In an ideal world, I would like a single component gel in a syringe that would cure with UV/low heat in a few minutes and do NOT require freezing temps for storage. That way I could keep the stuff sitting on my bench and use as needed without running to the freezer each time.

Mac G,

Whatever you else you do, do not use a cyanoacylate type adhesive for this application. The adhesive decomposes at soldering temperature to give acrid choking fumes which burn your eyes. I seem to remember it is an isocyanate gas, but I'm not a chemist so I might be wrong.

I found out about this particular problem after a colleague glued down a circuit board track which had lifted during repair, which he then soldered. A lesson learned the hard way for him and the three other engineers present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back