Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UW 11(a)(5)(b) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

weldtek

Materials
Feb 12, 2005
US
I'm interested in any comments you may have as to the interpretation of this paragraph.
Some folks I've talked with, say that in the case of a small pipe vessel where seamless pipe is used and both head seams total < 50 ft and were welded by the same welder, one spot is sufficient. I'm having difficulty in reconciling that practice with UW 52(4).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TomBarsh: you are correct in the above case 1 spot is all that is required. Some manufactuers don't understand UW-11(a)(5)(b).You would not belive some of the answers I get when preforming a Joint Review.

TomBarsh,
I went through a file I've kept of info pertaining to Code questions and came across the issue of Pressure Points I believe you referred to.
As always this question generates some interesting dialogue.
Let me bounce this off you guys,
It seems to me that the issue boils down to the selection of joint efficiency from Table UW 12, for a given joint. What I'm getting at is, if I say I need a E of 1 for head to shell seams but .85 for long seams, and apply UW 11(a)(5)(b) to those head to shell seams, then the head to shell seams are treated as their own increment(s) and I have to radiograph that increment(s) per UW 52. The rest of the vessel is comprised of a seperate increment(s) and is radiographed per UW 52.
Am I thinking about this correctly?

What I'm getting at is, if I say I need a E of 1 for head to shell seams but .85 for long seams, and apply UW 11(a)(5)(b) to those head to shell seams, then the head to shell seams are treated as their own increment(s) and I have to radiograph that increment(s) per UW 52. The rest of the vessel is comprised of a seperate increment(s) and is radiographed per UW 52.
Am I thinking about this correctly?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back