Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

v-belt drive design manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR250

Mechanical
Feb 17, 1999
US
Where can I find a good comprehensive v-belt drive design manual, perhaps including concepts for active tensioning ?. The major belt manufacturers probably have something like this, but I haven't been able to find it at any Web site.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello CR250,<br>
<br>
Sorry this will not answer your question, but I have a similar problem and I was wondering if you had discovered anything in your searches? I'm trying to find out about the efficiency of the common v-ribbed accessory drive belt. I must say, trying to find solid engineering information about drive belts is quite depressing so far. The SAE site ( has several drive belt items but you don't get to find out if they're talking about what you want to know until *after* you pay. Relatively big bucks in some cases. The summaries are almost useless.<br>
<br>
Sympathy and regards,<br>
Dan Babitch<br>

Hello dbabitch,<br>
Nothing yet, but I'll be working with two v-belt manufacturers shortly, and I'll let you know what I find out. <br>
John Swanson 11/22/99

Try the homebuilt aircraft forums. Many homebuilders have had to design their own Prop Reduction Units, PRU's, enabling them to adapt automotive engines. There are several books out on PRU's, they don't go into too much technical detail but they do provide leads to suppliers.

You will get the basics of vee belt design from any mechanical engineering 'machine elements' design book. There will be several of these in any mechanical engineering college library. Also belt manufacturers such as Gates, Pirelli, Goodyear, Continental etc. all give free guides to toothed and vee belt design. You can find a sales representative via the web, and ask for a design guidelines book. If you have problems tracking this down I can give you some specifics.

Try the following text.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MACHINE ELEMENT IN MECHANICAL DESIGN<br><br>BY:&nbsp;&nbsp;Robert L. Mott<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back