Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

V20 changes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapster

Electrical
May 21, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me if they have heard of any real significant improvement between V19.3 and V20 which should be released in January? Or, does V20 just provide a marketing pitch for the sales staff at Algor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it probably depends on your application. In electrical, I think the answer is probably that there is nothing new. If you do a lot of CAD interface work, I think there are some pretty significant improvements, especially if you are about to renew CAD software, but you only use it for FEA work...you may not need the CAD software. Thermal Fluids...also a good bit of work in this area. Other than that, some improvements in Event Simulation, etc., but not as signficant.

Well according to the long chats I have had with sales staff and tech support, its supposed to be a complete re-write.
The tabs between the 4 interfaces will be gone, everything will be presented in one interface, which I like. Also its claimed that the waiting time between operations will be reduced. And there are supposed to be numerous improvements in model set up, contacts, application of loads and BC etc,etc. The problems I have been having with lots of surfaces are supposed to be gone, and the mesher is supposed to have gone through a total revamp.... Fingers crossed.

Have a look at:
Anyway here's hoping...

I took a look at the link that you cited...that's primarily where I drew my opinion. I have been hearing for some time (about 6 months) that I didn't want to "miss out" on the release of v.20...in anticipation, I renewed my maintenance agreement and I think the release has been delayed a little (originally due out in October?). I used to beta test for Algor (many moons ago), but I haven't seen this new release. Guess we'll wait and see.

I would like to see the true single interface (no tabs) and definitely the improved speed between operations...particularly for very large models. As for the model set-up, I thought they had pretty easy methods already. Select/right click/Add/BC's click...click...done. Seems like a lot, but always went pretty smoothly.

I will be interesting to see what comes out...

Garland

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group

I agree that some parts of the model set up are good, other parts of it are, shall we say "under developed". I suppose that the model set up for contacts is where I am hoping to see the most improvement. I do lots of contact analysis so an auto detect of contact surfaces would be great...
I have been told that this is a major re-write and its going to make a big difference!
I think it has slipped a couple of months, their website still says Dec release. Zapster where did you hear about it slipping to January? Also what are you hoping to see improved?
Regards

Toys19

I'm also hoping to see some speed increases with the GUI. Nothing is more frustrating than having your system freeze for a while while it processes your mouse click, only to realize that you selected the wrong part, surface, node, etc. or that you really didn't need to go back into the meshing environment.

Not that I do that terribly often..... [neutral]

Robert

didn't want to "miss out" on the release of v.20...in anticipation, I renewed my maintenance agreement

I seem to have missed the release V20 twice, both in October and now in December unless it is released tomorrow. ALGOR still shows V20 to be shipped in December of 2006 on their web site. Perhaps I am not on their good list; however, my sales rep at ALGOR hasn’t missed an opportunity telling me why I should renew my maintenance agreement to get ALGOR’s new latest greatest version.

In these things it always pays to go straight to source, I was told by my Alfor rep before Christmas that it has slipped further, I think its gonna be end of Jan now....
A further annoyance is that when you accidently press analyse it erases your results, and even if you close without saving they are gone! This is super annoying. Much like if you accidenlty make a change in the cad environment, it erases your results and anything node related in the fea environment. Which would be ok if you could close the open version without saving and then open the saved version, flippin Algor autosaves over everything...
Ok you are going to say dont make mistakes then, which is true, but sometimes we do, and those of us used to a windows environment know that we can just open the last saved version, but not in Algor grrrrrrrrrrr. (Ok this has just happened to me today so I a still a bit sore about it, especially as the anylsis took about 7 hours.) Heres hoping they sort it out!!!! Have a happy new year.

toys19 is correct; ALGOR V20 is scheduled for release at the end of January.

The FEA Editor and CAD Interface environments are merged in this version. As noted, there are many pre- and post-processing speed improvements amongst many new features.

If anyone is interested in participating in the V20 Prerelease Program please contact your sales rep.

Sam
ALGOR, Inc.

toys19,

You can change your analysis options (Options -> Analysis -> Automated Tasks) so that the analysis does not start automatically when the Analyze button is depressed. This will prevent one from accidentally over-writing their results.

Sam
ALGOR, Inc.

Smurgie, Thanks. Very useful for clumsy fingers like me!
Will the new version have a different approach to saving and overwriting? (Its pretty brave of you to come on here, we will bombard you with questions!)

Hi toys19,

Most of the automated saves have been removed. However, ALGOR V20 will still auto-save before analysis or check. All saves still over-write but this should not be much of an issue since the user is in control of when the saves occur. As you know, previous releases would auto-save frequently.

Of course, now the user must remember (like what one would have to do with Microsoft Office) to save at various points so that one can recover if necessary.

Sam

PS I enjoy these opportunities to interact with our users. No bravery is required :)

Hi Everyone,
I have recently had a web demo of V20 from Algor. I have to say I was pretty impressed. The main feature is that it seems to respond really quickly, and that many functions have been streamlined, access to them seems to be easier and faster. This was my major concern, I can't really comment on new features as I did not have time to really explore it properly, but I glimpsed areas for exploration! Also I was told about things planned for future versions, like automatic contact detection and cad repair facilities, whihc all sound promising!
I have been promised a version as soon as its ready, so watch this space.
Cheers toys19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back