Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V4 to V5 design question Weldments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleske

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2006
US
I'm a V4 designer, mechanical tool, and am learning v5. I've taken a course so far and was wondering how would you design a weldment in v5. Would each piece be a part file that would be brought together in a product or would all the pieces be done in a part file? I know this is a pretty simplistic question but would appreciate any replies.

Thnx,

Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i think this is up to the designer, ive done it both ways, but i favor the 'multiple parts to the assembly[product]' method...it makes it a lot easier to detail out prints for the fabricator...and could make it easier to change any of the part requirements later down the road

good luck,

-nadz

There is a method of reusing drawings that includes changing the children of a product. The drawing is pointed at a product that does not change its UUID. This allows for drawing update. It is useful in the event you have a supplier do some work and send you modified parts that might be in new CATparts/CATProducts.

/k.c.takacs

I'm still holding out there will be some improvements made to the Assembly workbench that will accommodate the weldment issue.

So far, I'm happier with the Assembly feature commands, but still see a need for improvement. As it is, modifying parts in a 3D Catia assembly does not mirror what really happens in the real world, as it should. (you cannot always design as built in assembly space)

For the most part, I prefer to do weldment design using MML, (or CCP) and boolean assemble. It's still very easy to make modifications that way, and possibly more so, seeing as how there is the lack of need for part constraints. That is, unless you use the "fix" or "fix together" command frequently.

Having said that, I must once again qualify my statements - I work in a very limited environment, usually with small scope projects. (my own company) I am not bound by the various data management requirements that a large engineering company or department may be beholden to. So consider my advice, with that in mind.

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back