Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5 annotation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

begnor

Automotive
Jul 13, 2004
US
Is there a function in V5 that will convert the 3D annotation into curve geometry for export? I have some Japanese characters in annotation that I need to convert to some sort of transferable file like a .igs or .stp, something to move the Japanese typefont to another CAD system that we use here.
Thanks in advance.

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I usually just cut an paste it.

You can find the fonts available online, so that you can read/export them. Or you can have your customer send them to you. Or you can find them on your own computer, and then import them into the other system.

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

The customer sent us the annotation in V5 Honda environment. I need to get that from V5 into IDEAS, and the cut/paste option does not end up working on the UNIX system quite as well here. The end result I would like is to get 2D wireframe from the V5 annotation to move into IDEAS and extrude that onto the 3D IDEAS model so I can send the correct model information to the tool shop without losing the annotation, or having to do it twice.

Here's what worked for us, though it's probably more drawn out that it could be but this was our solution:

Make a V5 drawing, and create a View from 3D, and select the annotation view in the part. The view is then projected onto the drawing, showing all the annotation that we need to move out. Save the drawing as a .dxf

Open that .dxf in V4 Draw, and there's a converter used to move the 2d draw geometry to V4 Space as curve data. Export that curve data as .igs

At that point, the .igs could have been imported into IDEAS. The Japanese characters came across as single line representations. IDEAS needs a closed sketch showing the desired thickness, so instead of manually offsetting each individual line .212 each way, I imported the same .igs into V5 to use the Thicken option in a Pad, using the original curves as the Neutral Element. I had to project the curve data onto a couple different sketches, but it worked to create a solid of all the Japanese informaiton needed, and in the end, saved that complete solid as a .stp to use directly into the IDEAS model.

Thanks for the .dxf suggestion, solid7. It pushed us in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back