Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5 Drawing formats and titleblocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackk

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2002
US
How are other companies implementing drawing formats and titleblocks in V5?

We just started to look into adding our company's formats into CATIA's drawing system. The documentation describes using a macro to customize frames and titleblocks and we've played around with the sample frames.

We discovered (with V5R11SP3) the sample frames are just lines and text in the background that anyone can change. We also noted that the sample frames take up about 40Kb of file size.

Another option we're considering is our old V4 method - create the frames as a 'symbol' in a catalog, and make them part of a 'seed' drawing.

What have other companies done for drawing frames? Can you offer any advice to us?

thanks in advance, ....Jack

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you Mircea for the response,

Does your company use this sophisticated macro to add borders to their drawings? Are you happy with this method and the results?

...Jack

1-NO
2-NO Jack..
..is too much of a pain and not much of a gain..WE ARE USING THE SAME "TECHNIQUE" :modifing the samples..or creating new ones within other 3D CAD packages
...or maybe we are missing something!?
Regards,
Mircea

Hello Jack,

We are using 2D Details and parameters to make our Drawing Frames. We change the "Page Setup" to the correct format and call the 2D Detail & change some parameters so you can change format a keep parameters.

Stan

Stan Garret
stanislas.garret@autoliv.com

hi,

where I work, we have a script that ask you for a Drafting template, format, number of sheets (start-end) but in fact it loads the same file and remove everything you dont need, take care of the page number, let you add or remove sheet, but no change format.

One file to take care for the admin (easy to setup default settings within it...)

Title block are components, a special detail sheet is available in the file to have all other component needed... working to make catalog...

BTW : Salut Stan, passe le bjr a JF...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

I wrote a custom macro loosely based on the samples supplied by Dassault.
My macro goes beyond just creating deleting or resizing the format I also provide standard notes and flag notes atuomatically along with a custom bill of material titleblock and revision history.

Stan, Eric and Puck...

Thank you all for sharing your experience.

What kind of geometry is built in the background view? Can users modify it? Do you know if the frames could be tif or jpg files?

Have you turned on PREVENT BACKGROUND VIEW ACCESS? Does this effect your macros?

...Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back