Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5-how to force .drawing link change

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnlg

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2003
US
If I have a .product & .drawing, then want to make a similar .product & .drawing, what method will allow me to “rename or save as new” each file, and force the .drawing link to agree? Am on R9SP4.

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

using save management will help you to save the product file and its parts in a different location with links and/or with new file name. You can use the File>"Send To" option also to copy the product and parts at a new location with different name.

as far as drawing is concerned if u have renamed the product file then use Edit>Links>replace command to reestablish the link with other product file.

Else if the product name is same then just open the product to which u want the drawing to be linked and then open the drawing file. it will automatically establish the link with the opened product on saving. Cheers
Ganesh.N

ganesh.n@engg.tjc.co.in

I’ve tested the File>”save management” “save as” twice with excellent results with a paired set. Thank you. Now, can I also apply this to a mixed set? I’ve tried this same routine with unrelated .product and .drawing without success. When I open the “new/saved as” files in the new folder, the .drawing is still related to the original .product. At edit/links/pointed documents, the “find” option is grayed out. At edit/links I attempt to “replace”, select the file I want, open, and receive Incident Report Error, The link refused the document. At edit/links I attempt to “replace in session”, select the file I want, OK, and nothing happens. Is there a way around this? Also, I tried File>”Send To” with unrelated set, with the same results.

Sincerely,
Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back