Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5 Sketcher references 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mancuso

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2003
US
I have a lot of hours on PROE and I am very used to being able to use established edges, planes, axes, etc. as references in sketcher. when I draw a line I can use the reference as a snap line and not use a dimension unless needed. Using this I can make a part more modifiable. In Catia V5 I have been using dimensions to keep the part related correctly. Its kind of a pain compared to PROE. I would love to know if there is anything similar.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

You can create projection, intersection of 3D elements in your sketch... Most of the time those projection/intersection will be linked with 3D...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Hi guys,

Eric N is correct, when you project or cut 3D elements onto your sketch plane they will be yellow in color.
This indicates that they are still linked to the 3D element
you chose to project or cut.
If the original 3D element is modified the projected or cut
geometry will update to suit the modification.
You can choose to isolate these elements and any modification to the 3D elements will not affect your sketch.

Hope this helps,
Jakey

If you are working in a product, you can constrain the objects(lines etc)to the same objects that you did in Pro by use of the constraint menu that is just above the dimension menu on right vertical lists with normal config. You do not have to dimension anything. They will link and update easier than Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back