Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5 Surface Healing and Join

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch56

Automotive
Sep 23, 2003
US
Kind of confused on the whole Surface Join Vs Heal commands
Both seem to do the same thing? I am attempting to turn a V4 surface model into a Volume in V5 and export the volume back out to V4. Surfaces have many gaps between the edges which I am in the process of healing.
Question - Should I be healing the surfaces 1st and then trying to join them, or go straight to Join with merging tolerance adjusted to compensate for gaps?

Thanks in advance?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

first know the basic difference between join and heal.

join tries to close the surfaces with the given tolerance, but doesn't change the geometry.

heal does the same as join but it will change the geometry ( shape)

its left upto the area in which u r going to apply the join or heal command.

cheers
Andrews

OK, then how far can I turn up the tolerance on the join command (.02 ?) and still get the model to close into a volume?

Thanks for your advice?

The maximum Join merging tolerance you can specify is 0.1mm. As in previous responses, Join will not modify the underlying surface. i.e if you have a step od 0.1mm and run a NC tool path over the join, you would still see a step in the result, yet visually you woul not see any step in the CAD geometry. Whereas Heal will physically modify all or part of the surfaces. Use this very carefully if you are working with customer data, especially A Class data, as you are changing the underlying surfaces.

Hope this helps

Supersurf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back