Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaccum Assisted Resin Infusion Molding (VARIM) - Knowledge and skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkmensing

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2004
MY
Hello everyone,[wavey3]

My company is currently in the process to set up a rotor blade (for windmills) factory in the US (Minnesota). Blades are 42m. in length.

I would like to know what knowledge and skill is available in the US, and especially Minnesota with VARIM? [/color red]

I've read that boats are sometimes build using VARIM, is that true? Bayliner too?

Cheers, [wavey2]

GM [thumbsup2]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In terms of production volume the specialty yacht or boat industry is one of the largest users of the VARIM or VARTM process. The obvious reason is that composite materials are often the best choice for making boats (and especially windmill blades) but autoclaves of sufficient size are not affordable. The aerospace industry has been slow to develop and adopt VARTM because businesses already had an overcapacity of autoclaves so no capital is save and, frankly, the business is so conservative, regulated, and risk averse that there is not a lot of inovation anymore. Innovation is essential to survival in smaller or new companies like yours (I'm guessing).

Autoclaves are by no means necessary to make high quality composite parts. In fact, there are still plenty of reject parts made in autoclaves. With VARTM you do have to pay attention more closly to some details like fiber compressability and tackifiers for layup. But non-autoclave manufacturing is probably the only economic way to make windmill blades.

I don't know any experts in Minnesota. I know Stratton Composite Solutions in Atlanta area does consulting in VARTM.

Hello gentlemen,

Thank you for your input. [thumbsup2]
The process we use for producing the blades is VARIM. [red]We therefore look for people/organisations/experts who can do this for us.[/red]
Next to that [blue]I am looking for locations where we can train (if necessary) people on this.[/blue]

Best regards,

GM

P.S. I need my [morning]

hkmensing
Are these blades currently being produced elswhere in the world? A 42 metre blade is a fairly large blade.
You might try Venus Gusmer in Kent Washington. They manufacture process equipment for VARIM as well as having a fabrication shop. A quote from one of their brochures:
"Venus Gusmer’s fabrication shop works on a large range of products. Venus Gusmer manufactures everything from small spray equipment to 400-ft. long fiberglass mine sweepers for the French and U.S. Navies." They would be able to give you the skills you require from their customer base.
B.E.

Hello B.E.

Thanks for the info. Yep, they are produced in India at the moment.
And yes, 42m is quite long, though we are also looking to produce longer blades.

Cheers,

GM

Resin Infusion is the way to go . Windmill blades are starting to use this method and is used a lot in the marine industry.Very acurate and clean every time . Might be worth giving Vestas a call .

HI Hooflungdung,

Thanks. Vestas is the competition. And we're using VARIM already for some years. It is just that in the USA we'll have to start from scratch. That is why I look for information/people who work/have worked with VARIM.

Cheers,

GM [sleeping2]

GM:

I would suggest you talk to some of the material companies. In the core side, I know DIAB (James Jones), Alcan, and WebCore (Scott Campbell) are doing a lot of work in large part infusion. They have extensive technical teams with infusion expertise, and their materials lend themselves to this process. Some of the fiber and resin companies also have experts in this area, including VectorPly (Phil Steggall) and AOC Resins (Daniel Rodriguez). So that might be a good place to start. There are also consultants out there that assist in this process and they travel nationwide. Andre Cocquyt does training seminars. Stratton (already mentioned) has a strong background in this area, but he is generally more aerospace focused.

Give me a ring (or e-mail) if you have more questions.
Good luck,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back