Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vacuum chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nellysdad

Aerospace
Oct 9, 2003
US
I need to machine to .018 thick (7"square). - one off job. Where might I get a used vacuum chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of material are you machining? We machine very thin teflon sheets all the time. Industrial double sided tape works very well to hold it down. And you think anything stuck to teflon. It sounds crazy, but man it works!! We have also done this for steel shim stock with sucessful results.

Yes, we have used this method but we use a good flow of coolant as we are machining AlBemet. This can cause the tape to lift. But thanx

make your own
start with a 1 inch thick alu plate
.125 slotx.275deep around the edge(.125 inside the 7x7)
buy retangluar gasket from vac-u-form .125x.3125 rockford il. about 50 bucks
brush or cut pattern in inside area for vacuum
add vacuum (side or bottom)from a cheap pump can be done with a hand pump
or surplus pumps can be found on the net
i have built a few for maching .385 7x10 alu plates with lots of deep pockets-thin wall

good luck

We making Aerospace parts. Minimum thicknes is 0,31" from 1" thicknes. 0.018 is very small thicknes. You need very accurate clamping devices becouse you will have corrugated sheet. Which side, place you will cut. Wery wery carefull.
Good Luck Libor Pírko Czech Republic

If you are only profiling the .018" don't even bother with the vacuum.
Punch it out / laser cut it / waterjet cut it.

Require a milled finnish? leave 0.5mm /0.020" on the edges to clean up on a machine centre
bolt it down with service lugs you add to the profile and crop them off when you are finished.

It is even possible just to mill it from solid use high cobalt hss I find carbide snaps too easy I use 6mm HSS Tin coated.

You might need a vacuum fixture(+/- .0002 flatness) without vacuum bleeding groove which may cause conductivity changed or cutter will leave marks. Vacuum pressure should be at 20 to 25 pounds/ square inch. Locate part on suface fixture, use industrial white tape to seal the vacuum around part. That may hold the parts good enough to machine them. I recommend You should reduce the helix angle to minimum or Straight Flute End Mill so tool not suck the parts up and reduce heat while tool in processing. Remember Speed/Feed and Percentage of coolant are really important. Good luck! I had been machine alot of Satelite and aircraft part with thickness to .012 and tolerance +/- .001.

Advanced Grinding has done similar parts with a series,really a multitude, of very small holes, cross drilled below the locating surface and using a factional hp electric motor and vacuum pump from grainger

Robert Setree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back