Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vacuum Jet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0164

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2005
BE
Hallo,

I am working for an engineering company in Belgium and I have the following :

For a certain service we required self priming pumps but could not find the proper selection, now we are thinking of a make up system with a vacuum unit (water vacuum jet). We intend to suck out the air in the suction line and pump. In this way the pump is wetted properly. We have city water available of approx 3.5 bara, backpressure approx. 0.6 bara and min. suction lift 9 lmiq. Can anyone give me names of suppliers of these kind of jets, preferably in Europe ??

Kind Regard,

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow! Seems like a bit of an odd way of doing it. I'm surprised you can't find a self-priming centrifugal that could do the trick.

I don't know a whole lot about vacuum jets, but I know several European suppliers that have a whole range of vacuum products. Try:

BOC Edwards
Graham Precision Pumps (now part of the Busch group)
Nash-Elmo

Chris0164 (Mechanical)
If you have a good foot valve, you should be able to use less water to fill the intake line to the pump than you would use to suck the air out.
Unless of course you are not pumping water.
B.E.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies !!

You are probably right Timbone, these pumps just fall out of the normal range for self priming pumps. We do have them in cast iron but not stainless steel but are still inquiring other Vendors in parallel. Also these pumps must be suitable for double mechanical seals. Just like Fabrico I was also thinking that we have to be careful we do not suck out the liquid barrier fluid from the double seal. Must check that with the seal supplier.

The foot valve indeed is in place but is not always tight and since these pumps are intermitting, the liquid level in the suction line will drop. Yorkman, thanks for the link, I will do some inquiry to that together with GEA, Tass, Nash, BOC and Busch.

I will let you all know if it works haha.

Kind Regard,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back