Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vacuum Stiffener Interrupted By a Nozzle. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani82342

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2008
US
We have a case where a vacuum ring got interrupted by a large integral nozzle / boot. Vessel diameter is 17' horizontal. Boot diameter is 8'. This obviously exceeds code allowed interruption. Is there a calculation method available to ensure the adequate moment of inertia provided by nozzle?

Or, can cases 13 or 14 of Roark 4th Edition of Chapter 14 on Elastic Stability provide a suitable solution? ( Case 12 is the basis for ASME formula for vac. rings I suppose).

Other approach could be if an FEA provide an answer?

your comments are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider CC 2286 (I think its stilll in effect for Div. 1) or Div. 2 approach using the age-old U-2(g) argument to go with an FEA, then use Div. 2 guidance on FEA for colllapse loads in 5.4.1.

jt

Dear JTE,
Appreciate your prompt reply which is quite helpful. In fact the vendor has submitted FEA and we are evaluating it. I am checking to see if there is any direct reference to such a situation any where in Eng-Tips.

Janaki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back