Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

valve ball surface finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon4

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2002
US
I am trying to update our ball-valve ball specifications.
I need to provides specifications for a 1.0" dia ball made of 316 SS.

We currently called out 100v (valve grade balls) but there does not seem to be a specification for valve grade balls.
We require a 3 Rma surface finish, with a mirror finish.

Procuring 100v grade balls from some suppliers, we find they only have a 5 Rma finish, and it was dull not mirror.

Does anyone have a specification that addresses valve grade balls (which apparently have better surface finishes, but standard geometry tolerances)

As a side note, why would the 5 finish ball, not have a mirror finish? do I need to specify that? I would have thought a finish like that would have been mirror like.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot equate a mirror finish to a call out on surface finish. You can polish most finishes to a mirror finish. In others words you give a surface finish and have it polished.
We made parts for internal use with a very low surface finish with always a desire for a finer finish. Our problem was that the finer we got the duller(matt) the part got. Even though we were under a light band in flatness and finish they wouldn't sell until we polished the part.

The valves are used to contain a 3000 PSIG nitrogen and CO2 mixture.

they require low actuation forces and extremely low leakage rates. Because of this we have been using balls with a 3 finish and they have always come in with a mirror like appearance. We were told they were grade 100V (valve grade)which supposedly meant they met grade 100 dimensionally but better than 48 for surface finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back