Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve design text book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

howkers

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2003
GB
I am an experienced mechanical engineer who has made a new start in the valve design side of my UK company within the last year, after 30 years experience on unrelated equipment. A former colleague sold me a text book on valve design. Being a sad geek I took it on holiday with me to read and the baggage handlers at a Spanish airport succeeded in losing my suitcase.

I have forgotten the book's name and author. It was published initially in the 70s by someone retired to South Wales (from preface). The author had published other books on valves. The cover was generally coloured white, with a valve picture and a fairly obvious title along the lines of 'Valve Design' or something similar.

Could anyone identify the title and author so I can try to replace it out of the scant airline insurance company compensation.
TIA
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bill,

You may have had one of the Lyons books:

*Valve Designer's Handbook
*Encyclopedia of Valves

The authors are Jerry L. Lyons and Louis Lyons. They're out of print, but I just checked and used copies are available on Amazon.com (US).

I hope you had a good time in Spain!

Jonathan

Hi howkers
The best I have come across is "Valve Design" by G.H.Pearson published by Sir Isaac Pitman And Sons Ltd, Pitman House ,Parker St,Kingsway, London. I had a 1972 Edition, and subsequently I understand that they have published updated version some time back. I do not know if they are in print now.Here in India we don't see them with the technical book sellers anymore. Please try Pitman since you are right there in UK.
Please communicate through the forum for any further details, so that others may also benifitted on the sources.

If it is out of print, once you get author and title, try searching
This gathers used books from various sites (ABE, Amazon used, and others) and even from some independent used bookstores. Many are in the U.K.

The results are sometimes strange, as you get new listings for every variant that booksellers make (including mistakes)on author and title.

I've gotten several useful technical editions for very little money this way.

Dave G.

Howkers

The book is Valve Design by G H Pearson from Newport, Gwent. The ISBN is 0 85298 404 9 it was published by "Mechanical Engineering Publications Ltd, London" and was printed by Staples Printers St ALbens at the Priory Press.

If you cannot get hold of a copy I have an 1978 edition in mint condition which I would be prepared to sell, as my needs are pretty limited these days, for about a tenner if you were interested.

Regards
BVMan

Thats very generous of you.
Can you contact me on
howkersNOSPAM@lycos.co.uk
removing the obvious capitals.

Regards
Bill
England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back