Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Valve Identification Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2023
US
Can I get some help from the experts on identifying what type of valve this is? My initial thoughts were a Globe Check valve. The identification tag is long gone.

Thanks!

VALVE_z6mb4i.jpg

VALVE_1_pdoaia.jpg
VALve_2_plibzc.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any other angles or marks?

No P&ID?

The shadow doesn't help but looks like some sort of check valve. What direction is flow?

Any other connections?

does anything come out of the dome?

A triple duty valve is coming close

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Added more images to the post.

The P&ID has no labeling, but the symbol indicates a flame arrestor.

No other connections.

It has a hand drawn flow arrow indicating the flow direction on top.

It could be, as you suggest, be a pure check valve, perhaps with a disc hinged in the middle. The top suggest however that a pring is involved.

It could then also be a disc or diaphragm valve where the disc is pressed up by the increased fluid pressure and down by spring force.

As the valve seems to have no external controlls (no handels, (pilot line connections or screws for force adjustment), all regulatig forces would have to be by inner construction. It could be that the disc movement is influenced by inner pilot openings through the disc to regulate the pressure balance on the two sides.

My guess is that this is some sort of soft close no return or check valve, but not easy to determine unless you unbolt the bonnet or remove the dome (does it unscrew?)

Why don't you just undo the 8 bolts on the top?

The fact you have a valve installed which apparently isn't shown on the P&ID and no one seems to know what it does should really require a bit more investigation IMHO.

And to assuage our curiosity.

The Valve is currently in service, removing the bonnet wouldn't be idea. The valve and piping system is owned by another company that sends process vents to our incinerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back