Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve reading and resources 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmn8226

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hey guys,
I am a newcomer to the valve, pump and compressor industry. I am looking for some good resources to learn about these some more and keep a little library of my own. They need not be highly technical (i.e. going into deep differential math, etc) but should have sufficent information to know the different types, advantages, etc etc. Since this is a valve sub-forum, it would be great if anyone here can let me know good websites or books where I can gather information on valves in general.

Thanks for the space.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well several manufacturers publish good information such as Fisher and others.

The ISA and API publish standards on various aspects of valves, mostly toward their leakage, control methods and capacity.

I have some information on my website.

Reading these forums can be useful too.

Paul

From Emerson:

Slightly biased toward their products but an excellent resource, especially for someone like me who isn't a valve expert.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Also, this question has been asked before. If you seach on Eng-Tips, you may come across them (if they are still up).

Many vendors also have "training" courses. These are usually with their products - which in my mind, is still of value as they are product specific. Contact your vendors and see if they have these types of product courses.

Talk to your colleagues. I am amased at how many people dont'trust their colleagues, but instead ask for help from total strangers that they have no knowledge of (eg. like here at Eng-Tips). See what is on their shelves - it is usually because they have found it useful.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I reviewed most of the published valve books for an article I wrote a couple of years ago. The best "handbook" on valves is "The Valve Primer" by Brent Stojkov. It is cheap, concise and easy to read. It should be avialable on Amazon.com. My company has given away over a hundred copies to customers.

cmn8226,
besideds the the good hints given above, I would like to add some more quick (web) references...

* BASIC CONCEPTS about valve types, design and history:

-
-

* Valve related TERMS AND DEFINITIONS:

-
-
-
-
* See also EN 736-3 standard about Valves - Terminology, which is divided into:
- Part 1: Definition of types of valves;
- Part 2: Definition of components of valves;
- Part 3: Definition of terms.

Hope this helps, 'NGL

Recently a the Valves Manual International has been updated and published. This is an excellent book with loads of information about different types of valves and applications.

Handbook of Valves and Actuators
Edited by Brian Nesbitt
First edition 2007

ISBN: 978-1-85617-494-7

Depending on where you are located, I may be able to get you one.

Machiel

wow, thank you very much for the information on the availability of resources. The Books mentioned above are great. I will be telling our company president to stock those books in our library. Also the links given are great as well.

This thread has made me much more informative about the subject, and I will be suggesting the books and links to add to our library. I thank everyone of you for taking the time to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back