Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Valve to control high-viscosity adhesive??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyte

Automotive
Mar 26, 2003
US
I am looking for a valve to control the flow of an adhesive with a viscosity of about 50,000 centipoise. I am looking for a low flow rate (maybe 2 gallons/hour) and it needs to be readily adjusted. I have tried a few valves, but I seem to be having trouble with the valve clogging up with adhesive. Would a globe valve be a good choice?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think that using a globe valve would lessen the clogging problem, the flow path through a globe valve is convoluted which would probably increase the clogging effect.

A valve with as close to a straight through flow path would lessen the clogging, also a self cleaning action for the plug would inhibit clogging.

Try an eccentric rotary plug (Camflex type) or a valve used in feedstock on a paper mill like a Neles (Jamesbury) ball valve.Another possibility is a lined pinch type valve (Saunders) however these do not have a great degree of control.

Note with a low flowrate the valve may operate close to the seat so ensure the valve has enough turndown to control your flowrate - I would ask the manufacturer if they have any experience with a fluid viscocity at around 50000Cp.

We have used conventional ball valves in latex and rubber cement applications with good results.we have improved upon the initial trials by switching over to three piece design ball valves to facilitate easy maintanance.these valves give a clean cut off for the viscus fluids and also clear the crust formed on the downstream side of the ball during the off time.further we have gone for minimum free space type with practically no empty space between the ball and the body.unfortunately we could not do any thing with the ball cavity. hope some body will come out with a solution for this problem also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back