Vancouver B.C. Rooftop Parking Collapse 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sym P. le

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2018
CA
CTV News - 2 in hospital after rooftop parking lot in East Vancouver collapse
CBC News - 2 taken to hospital after rooftop parking deck collapses into office in East Vancouver

When I heard the news on the radio earlier today, that a rooftop parking structure in East Vancouver collapsed, my mind immediately went back to an incident in the mid 1990's when a loaded concrete truck punched through an elevated structure, landing on it's ass end in the business below, knocking the driver unconscious. It turns out to be the neighbouring address, however, everything about the development screams that it's the same owner development.

The earlier incident occured in part because the height limitation frame at the parking entrance had been removed to facilitate renovations. The concrete truck driver didn't get the message. I notice in Google Street View there is no equivalent warning structure at the entrance to the 3438 address. WorkSafeBC better be all over this.

Site_Map_lf0zbd.jpg

Google Earth view of 3434/3438 Lougheed Hwy., Vancouver, B.C.

3434_Lougheed_gt7m6v.jpg

3434 Lougheed Hwy. - Site of Today's Incident

3438_Lougheed_aihhoc.jpg

3438 Lougheed Hwy. - Site of Mid 1990's Incident

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they were re/re the roof membrane and there was a layer of sand isolating the existing membrane from the asphalt paving, it appears, they were consolidating the material for removal. The evident pile in the background is distributed across many precast concrete T-beams however, adjacent to the failed zone, there appears to be the remnants of another pile which may have run in line with the length of the T-beams.

Roof_Top_Work_cngpeo.jpg

"...everything...screams that it's the same owner."

Does it also scream it's the same designer and the same structural engineer?

spsalso

Yes however, the original designer and structural engineers are not likely choreographing the maintenance work. If the project manager screwed up on the first incident, maybe they should have been more aware on the second go around even if it is 25 years later. Someone has to catch on that there are inherent precautions required to work on elevated structures accessible to heavy equipment (even if it's the lite version of same). It's just plain recklessness to maim and injure people again and again.

Agreed. Thanks for posting this. And interesting though very much avoidable failure. Who know in 25 years the owner might have changed.

I've never really considered or dealt with elevated drivable structures before. I support a very sturdy height barrier with strong placarded warnings against removal might be one approach. The one on the other address looks very flimsy and still doesn't seem like a great deterrent to removal and still has a pretty decent height to it. I'd expect a lower height limit simply to limit inadvertent entry from overweight vehicles.

Interesting photo, that. I was wondering how far the "building" went, out towards the road--farther than I thought. Comparing to an overhead view, it looks like it went beyond the parking area, and under the "dirt".

It will be very interesting to see how much "dirt" was piled on the area that fell. And to compare its weight with what the deck should have held. Since there doesn't look like an obviously safe place to store it on-site, moving it elsewhere would have added a lot of expense. Justifiable, obviously.

spsalso

...and the professional association is strangely silent.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Images of the concrete truck incident from 1996. The neighboring structure is steel truss design as opposed to the precast concrete T's used in this design. It's still disturbing to see these two incidents on adjoining properties/addresses.

Global.02.Cement_Truck_g5ijqz.jpg

Global News

Global.01.Cement_Truck_jpqicy.jpg

JLNJ... In a really well designed parking garage, a vehicle takes up about 300 sq.ft, not much less when you consider the isles, ramps, entrance, and exits. That gives about 300x40 or about 12000lb/vehicle... On a 18x9x40 that gives about a 6480 lb vehicle per stall... The average weight of a car is about 4000lbs... 40 seems to be an OK number... For alternating loads, I used to use LL = 25psf and 0 psf to determine max +ve and -ve moments when I used to design them... haven't done one for decades.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

The uniform load of a vehicle is applied to spots with a contact pressure approximately equal to the tire pressure. You can pass the uniform load criteria and badly fail the contact pressure requirement. The result - either immediately or after a while can be in punch through failures.

It is always something to check.

It's been decades since I looked at point loads from tire pressures and in past they were never close to determining the failure envelope.

-Dik

Perhaps I am a bit sensitive to the issue. When your employer has some of these monsters running around the plant you find that standard precast concrete DI structures suitable for HS20 loading have limited service life. Failure mode is the casting punches through the concrete.
Concrete mixers are not this heavy, but they also push the loading envelope.
Screenshot_from_2022-07-18_20-37-48_bcr4lt.png

Screenshot_from_2022-07-18_20-36-19_u48bm0.png

Credit

That's a whole bunch different than a parkade... I wouldn't park a 747 in a parkade, either... That's an industrial floor design... a whole bunch different.

-Dik

Another key issue with parking structures is that you have to be very careful about expansion joints... they have to be good and they have to be properly located. Also whatever coatings, if any, you intend to apply.

-Dik

This was likely due to overloading, but the thin flanges of those precast tee sections bothers me. That, and the way the members are connected together, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back