Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vapor Degreaser - Trichloroethylene alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcuneo

Aerospace
Mar 10, 2008
CA
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for alternative degreasing technologies for our current TCE vapor degreaser. We are currently using this equipment to clean aero-engine parts (magnesium, stainless steel and aluminum) from light oils (machining cooling oils and fluorescent penetrant dyes used for DPI) as our prep prior plasma spray deposition.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this path already and might be able to point me towards the right direction.

From what I've seen so far it's either a choice of sticking to the chlorinated solvents (which some might be phased out as well in the next 5-10yrs) or going towards a aqueous cleaning systems (that may or may not be able to effectively clean the parts).We are hoping we can go for the aqueous cleaning systems any inputs?

Cheers,
F.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just did a feasibility study on a CO2 sequestrtation project and found that super critical CO2 is the super solvent of the future. When I looked at compressing it, I found that it is such a good cleaner that it will clean the lubricating oil from a recip compressor cylinder. Really the only drawback I found to using this stuff as a solvent is that it has to be above 87.8F and 1070 psia--you may not want your basic dry cleaner to be messing with that much pressure, but in an industrial application the folks should be trainable.

David

here is a different one I witnessed at a pilot plant that was cool!!! Propane! Its a take off of dewaxing lube oils as published and use regualy, put has beed adapted to remove oils from seeds on oil from ROCKS, like tar sands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back